Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Repell Head Lice Naturally

I remembered it was so long ago since I last caught head lice on my hair. It is quite painful to go through that time, especially when friends start to shun you a little when they hear the news about the lice on my head and I also remembered the long hours of waiting while covering my hair with the towel after soaking with some strong kerosene smell liquid. Yeah, I thought it was kerosene. And also I remembered my mother picking out the nits from my head as she checks them with the sunlight on my hair.

Vinegar and Mayonnaise

I am glad to have chance on this website about head lice remedy that you can try in desperate times. One of the most popular method is to use original mayonaise to soak the hair for at least 2 hours or more, with a wrap towel. The lice typically lay their eggs with a glue so it can stick on the hair strands. You might like to add more white vinegar to the mayonnaise to melt the glue away. Do not dilute, but use the white vinegar in its concentrated form.

Other Repelling Methods

Other effective method is to use the original listrine or tea tree oil (2 to 3 tablespoons) with olive oil (1/2 cup) to soak on the hair and wrap with the towel to suffocate the lice with the chemicals in your hair. Spraying these chemicals may not be enough so make sure your hair is thoroughly soaked with it. Others also suggest to use hair dryer to kill the lice with heat but this must be done with caution to prevent burning your scalp while being too enthusiastic over killing the lice.

At the end of the treatment, use fine tooth hair comb to comb it through. When I was young, I remembered using the traditional fine tooth comb (I think it's made of bamboo or wood). There are people who suggest metal comb but I think a fine-tooth comb should be fine. Interestingly, dyeing a hair can also prevent future head lice and I think this is an excellent idea too!!!

Sanitization Steps

Besides killing them in the hair, try not to re-use the towels that was used for the head lice treatment and clean all your bedsheets, combs and pillow cases and other items that may be in contact with the hair. Use the heat from the sun to sun bathe your pillows if possible. Otherwise, you may use other heating device (hair dryer) or vacuum it thoroughly.


Useful Reference

1) Head Lice Home Remedies

2) Hot Dry Air Can Eradicate Head Lice

No comments: