Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Flying Cockroaches, Hidden Repellents

I often screamed at the top of my voice when I see flying cockroaches. Whenever spring cleaning comes, I often have to brace myself up before fighting the pest. My parents seem more brave than me, using their bare hands to slap the cockroach flat, before picking them up into the bin. When I was young, it seemed to me that they were playing some kind of Arcade Games to see who kills more cockroaches. Though it may be true that cockroaches are probably extremely proud of their long existence heritage, I don't really like their sneaky character. They often sneaked from th common dustbin that goes all the way down from the top of multi-storey flat. Sometimes, they crawl up and fly in from the kitchen window.

So, besides cleaning your home to wipe out the cockroaches and their eggs, what do you do to prevent and to repell the cockroaches from your home? I have a short list of natural repellents against cockroaches:-

1) Cinnamon (my favourite)

Cinnamon works best in enclosed spaces in your cupboard. If you can get those that is not grinded, you can use it without staining your space with the brown spices. Otherwise, you can put your powder in a pouch. I was also told that you should replace the cinnamon every 6 months.

2) Catnip

It was said that Catnip can repell cockroaches due to the presence of 2 types of nepetalactone. Similiarly, leave it at spots where cockroaches are likely come from. This would greatly discourage them from coming to your home.

3) Bay Leaves

If you run out of cinnamon, bay leaves, that is a spice used for cooking, can also shoo-oo away the cockroaches. It is probably due to the presence of Ceneole that the cockroaches dislike.

No comments: