Sunday, January 14, 2007

War with Ants


Do you have ants passing through your bedroom? I recently experience black ants crawling across through my bedroom window to the kitchen. You see, my bedroom is just beside my family's mini garden that is laid along the common corridor of my flat. I really fought hard with the ants as the lost ants crawl up my feet while I was surfing the net. I considered a list of ways to chase away the ants:-

1) kill them with my hands
2) use vinegar
3) use baby talcum powder
4) use insecticide
5) use the ants poison.
6) destroy the ants nest
7) use water (it prevents them from eating my favourite cake!)

I didn't like the idea of poisoning the ants as I am aware of the environmental effects for the use of pesticides. Drinking vinegar is fine but not smelling like one in a bedroom seem undesirable to me, so I discarded the idea as well. Water is useful for discouraging the ants only if the water is deep enough. Killing them with my mighty hands has been a norm during my fight with them but it didn't discourage or stop them either. I didn't manage to find the nest either as it was well hidden. The ultimate moment came when I saw them bringing the fried fish bone from the kitchen floor to my bedroom. I got hysterical that midnight and began cleaning my bedroom thoroughly. Then I furiously pepper the talcum powder on all possible entries that includes my windows and my bedroom door. I did this for a few days until the ants decided to change their route to my living room door. You can anticipate my next step was to powder the living room door steps as well, ignoring my mum's annoyance with me. The talcum powder seem to work for now, though it didn't entirely stop the ants from coming in and I wasn't really keen to destroy the ants, I am really glad that it literally stop crawling under my feet while I am working on my computer.

No comments: